Sunday, April 19, 2015

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon inspired

Pin It

I read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, by Grace Lin out loud to my 7 year old daughter in February. It kept her attention, was full of lovely, magical stories, and made a teary mess of me before the end. It is an uplifting story with a message that we all need to be reminded of from time to time. I think my girl will want to and be able to read it independently soon too.




It is funny, I didn't create this year's book list with some kind of theme in mind, but a number of books I've read have a common theme of selflessness. In Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin beautifully illustrates how the world becomes a much better place when we put the needs of others above our own needs. One of my favorite parts of the book is about a community who lives in a rocky, virtually barren area except for a cluster of trees with yellow flowers. They give of themselves so freely and find joy in doing it. I hope to become more like them everyday.

Minli is a young girl looking to change her family's fortune and to bring life back to the Fruitless Mountain by the Jade River that looms over their town. She goes on adventure. She is smart, courageous and makes a number of true friends. It was a fun literary journey to take and a very quick book to read. We loved it.


About the manicure:  2 coats Revlon Timeless with Julep Stefani, stamped with Sinful Colors Snow Me White with MoYou London Suki 06 and BM-617, painting the flowers  with Sinful Colors Let's Meet and the water with Julep's Gunta and Shelley.